Image source: Getty Images
The Australian Football League or AFL recently released an NFT collection called the Ripper Skipper 2022 NFT, selling out as quickly as they launched.
Earlier this year, the AFL announced a five-year partnership with Animoca and Be Media, hinting that NFTs would be released in the future.
Ripper Skipper NFTs
The AFL’s NFTs are based on the team captains of the league.
There are a total of 78 “major moments” that prospective owners can collect, all of which showcase different highlights featuring AFL team skippers in the 2021 season.
The NFTs are more than just portraits of the captains; they also include a video clip and audio of the captain in action.
Each NFT pack gives prospective owners a 90% chance of receiving “Common” cards, 8% for “Deluxe,” and 2% for “Ovation” cards.
The packs have a retail price of 34.39 USDC, and the project is estimated to have raised over $130,000 in USDC.
The Ripper Skipper 2022 NFTs launched on Wednesday via the AFL Mint program.
The program allows people who joined the “allowlist” to purchase one of the 3,800 packs reserved for the drop.
Once the NFTs went live, it sold out in under 12 hours.
Ripper Skipper NFT packs also have a 10% chance of giving a special, extra-utility-carrying Genesis Ball NFT among the three cards.
With the utility, AFL Mint plans to evolve through the addition of certain NFTs in the hopes of engaging experiences for AFL fans.
The plans include game-day events, unique content, and metaverse hangouts with the players.
Kylie Rogers, the Executive General Manager Customer and Commercial at AFL, is excited about the possibilities with the NFTs. He said:
“Through our AFL Mint brand, we will launch exciting new moments across our men’s and women’s competitions, plus celebrate past greats and other product releases that will bring a unique fan experience we haven’t seen before.”
Jordan Fogarty, the CEO of Be Media, and Yat Siu, Animoca’s Executive Chairman, chimed in with opinions of the NFT drop, both raising the word “excited” multiple times.
The launch of the Ripper Skipper 2022 NFTs shows that the AFL is following the footsteps of other international sporting codes that have delved into Web3.
NBA Top Shot launched back in 2020, garnering critical acclaim, and earlier this year, UFC created UFC Strike.
Ripper Skipper 2022 is not alone as other Australian sporting codes have been doing the same.
Cricket Australia (CA) and the Australian Cricketers Association (ACA) both signed a multi-year licensing deal with Rario, the Singapore-based collectibles platform, and BlockTrust, the NFT trading company, in April.
The Queensland Rugby League also dropped 10,000 NFTs called The Ultimate Queenslander NFT on the Flow Blockchain.
Opinions expressed by NY Weekly contributors are their own.