We love our vapes! Cannabis vape pens are becoming more and more popular by the day for their variety of flavors and formulas, ease of use, and discrete form factor. Another selling point is pre-filled vape cartridges eliminate the need for all the paraphernalia that comes with smoking and dabbing. No fuss. No mess. Just screw on a new cartridge and you’re good to go.
Cannabis vape pen technology has come a long way. In the early days of vaping, we had massive desktop contraptions that plugged into an AC outlet. Today we have sleek vape pens, the size of a… Well, a pen. They’re rechargeable, chic, and adjustable. Best of all, any odor produced from cannabis-infused vape oil dissipates literally in seconds so we’re not skunking up the joint.
Unfortunately, along with all this newfound technology and the rising popularity of vape pens come the “undercutters.” These are companies that just want to make a fast buck by putting out the cheapest product possible. Oftentimes their packaging is pretty, their pitch is perfect, and their price is nice — but the products aren’t. Because of this, buyers end up disappointed in the experience.
California-based Mad Labs works hard to produce products that make customers want to come back again and again. So I asked them for a few tips for getting the best bang for your buck when it comes to cannabis vape cartridges.
First, make sure the product is REAL
Along with the undercutters come the black market dealers trying to capitalize on the popularity of the product. These companies don’t need to do any branding or
marketing because they can simply buy counterfeit parts labeled with a reputable brand name and logo.
It sounds crazy, but anyone can go to a Chinese website and purchase vape tanks, batteries, and packaging branded with any of the top vape names and then fill them with whatever the heck they want.
So how can you tell a counterfeit vape pen from the real deal?
First of all, you should only be shopping at reputable dispensaries. Reputable distributors and dispensaries will not purchase products from black market dealers. Although there are some shady dispensaries out there, most have too far much on the line — financially and legally. It’s not worth saving a few bucks shilling counterfeit cartridges.
Reputable manufacturers such as Mad Labs practice strict regulatory compliance. That means every single product sold is tracked from “seed to sale.” Tiptoeing around the regulators and selling products to unlicensed parties risks loss of license and possibly prison time. Because of this, it’s highly likely that any product being sold outside of a dispensary came from an under-the-radar maker.
So, Rule Number One is to only buy vape cartridges from reputable licensed dispensaries.
Second, track the package
The second way to assure that you’re getting a legitimate product is to buy from a company that offers some kind of verification of authenticity such as Mad Labs. Anyone can buy counterfeit vape tanks from China, but they won’t be able to authenticate the products. All Mad Labs products include verification codes that can be used to verify the authenticity of the product.
So, Rule Number Two is to only purchase products that offer a verification process.
Some things to look for in a good cannabis vape pen/cartridge
Here’s what to look for when shopping for a high-quality vaping experience.
● Organically grown flower — All licensed cannabis products produced in California must be made from organically grown marijuana. Small amounts of chemical pesticides, fungicides, and fertilizers can end up in the final product. Mad Labs products are all produced from flowers grown on their organic farm.
● Solventless extraction — The best extraction methods for vape oils are solvent-free. Mad Labs uses no toxic solvents in their innovative extraction process. They use only ice, water, heat, and pressure, and nothing else.
● Full-spectrum extract — Many vape products are produced using THC isolates (or low-quality extracts) and artificial flavors. But cannabinoids are not the only active ingredients in marijuana. Terpenes (essential oils that give cannabis its aroma) also offer distinct effects. The combined effect of the cannabinoids and terpenes is what makes each cannabis strain produce a unique experience.
This is known as the “entourage effect.” Mad Labs’ terpene-rich extracts produce the same flavor experience and effects as the strain from which the oil was extracted.
● Additive-free — Make sure that the brand that you’re considering is additive-free. Some vape brands use thinners that make for a less potent and potentially unhealthy product. Mad Labs cannabis vape cartridges contain only pure cannabis oil.
● 3rd-party lab-tested — All licensed cannabis companies are required to have their products lab tested for purity and potency by an independent laboratory. The results of these tests (called a COA — certificate of analysis) are available on the Mad Labs website.
● Potency — The potency of cannabis vape cartridges can vary wildly. A vape cartridge with half the THC might cost the same as a more potent cartridge. Mad Labs offers the highest potency on the market.
● BPA-free cartridges — Make sure that the brand uses BPA-free. Many vape tanks are made of plastic and contain BPA. BPA (bisphenol A) is an industrial chemical used to make certain plastics. BPA can leach into the vape oil and be harmful to your health. Mad Labs uses only glass tanks.
● Ceramic heating element — Ceramic heating element composition and material refinement
● Short-path airflow — Vape cartridges with a shorter airflow path and more entry points deliver vapor quicker and more efficiently [how can you tell]
A little homework goes a long way toward finding a good company that produces good products. Legitimate companies have a reputation to uphold. Any monkey business could cause a PR nightmare or even legal problems that can spell the end of a grower and manufacturer such as Mad Labs. So, avoid the monkey business and buy your cannabis cartridges at real dispensaries.
To Learn more about Mad Labs, click here.